Just Me!

I am a wife, mother & keen photographer with an obsession for Scrap booking. My motto is live life to the max and don't regret too much! Thankyou for taking the time to visit my blog!

 
Blog Links
What I'm Listening too
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What I'm Reading
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What I'm Watching
  • Heroes
  • Grey's Anatomy
  • Brothers and Sisters
  • Big Brother
  • My Fantasy Football
    Visit my mini league "Scrappad"
    Avoiding blogging
    Monday, April 24, 2006
    Does anyone else do this? When something happens that i don't particularly want to talk about i avoid blogger.
    Now i know i could just not write about it but that defeats the whole purpose for me. This is my diary and i need to write it down.
    Well things having been the best around here for the last few days.
    It started on Friday when we got a phone call from the Speech Therapist. We haven't seen her for a while because of one thing or another so a long conversation ensued. We talked about how Corey was doing, his speech, feeding and in general. Then she dropped the bombshell, she thinks Corey has Dyspraxia. Ironically it was something someone had mentioned to me that very same day but i hadn't taken any notice of it and certainly didn't know what it was. Anyway, after i put the phone down i searched the internet and found lots of info, info that i didn't particularly want to see. My head was reeling and i got myself into a bit of a state. I know Corey isn't perfect but i certainly didn't want him to be 'labelled' with something. DH thought i was overreacting and an argument started which continued into Saturday. So now as well as being told my son potentially has this impairment i am also not talking to DH, great stuff. I cry and cry and cry all night and eventually decide to email Corey's consultant. I've done this a few times in the past year and he doesn't mind. Anyway, he got back to me late evening and put my mind at rest a little. He said, and i quote -

    Labels like dyspraxia are used to make life more manageable for health professionals, and are a very broad envelope, ranging from trivial clumsiness to more significant learning difficulties. It is going to be pretty speculative at Corey’s age anyway.... let’s look at him rather than any labels being tossed around!

    So after a decent nights sleep on Friday i woke up somewhat groggy on Saturday and proceeded to have a crappy day. Things going over in my head and also not talking to hubby. It was the UKS cybercrop and i managed to get one layout done. Usually at these things i would have done half a dozen.
    Anyway yesterday was better. We made up and headed out to the shopping centre. Got Simon(my stepson) a few presents as it's his birthday in a few weeks and i want to be on the ball!. Then we headed for lunch at TGI Fridays which was nice but there wasn't enough lol! I had steak and although it was yummy i could have done with it being double the size! Maybe i'm just greedy!
    Last night we stayed in and cuddled up to watch The Office, the US version. We have only watched the first episode so far as we weren't too impressed with it. Hopefully it'll get better. We ended up watching Phoneix nights instead.
    Today i have been so busy. Reorganising the house, changing furniture around, ironing, laundry, shops for storage boxes. I was just in one of those 'do everything' moods!
    posted by Cath @ 6:16 PM  
    9 Comments:
    • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Kari said…

      Sorry you are feeling down. Doesnt feel like our preemies are such survivors and have come so far. Then boom something raises its ugly head. Like Olivia with the walking! GRRR! How nice of the consultant to put your mind at ease.

      Hang in there! Glad you made up with hubby!

       
    • At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Aww cath I know its hard not to worry but Dyspaxia isnt such a bad thing you know. J has it and he manages fine.
      Your consultants right labels are just "tick boxes" for the health profession....but one day you might be glad to use those labels to get your DS the extra help he might need.

      take care hun.
      BOBxxx

       
    • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Tonya said…

      Hi Cathy, I am new to your blog and I'm very glad I found it! First I want to say that Corey is adorable.. I just came back from his website :) You did a great job on it. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling down. I can understand as I feel that way often. I am also the mother of a preemie as well born 12 weeks early. She is my world and we have all been through so much. I cried watching your NICU video because it brings back so many memories. My little one was born November 14/04. As far as the Dyspaxia im afraid I have not done any research on that particular topic but im sure Corey will come through it just fine. He is such a a little fighter :)

       
    • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

      Cath, your consultant sounds great. Hope you are feeling better soon and get some answers soon. It's not helpful being told things like that over the phone especially as it's not a diognosis. Have been looking out for your next post and thought it was strange you hadn't posted on your blog the last few days.

      Lisa

       
    • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Paula @ Blooms 'n' Spades said…

      Cath, I hope you are feeling a bit better this afternoon. I hope your consultant has managed to put your mind at rest - children are wonderful, no matter what labels people try to give them!

       
    • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

      I don't care what they say about Corey! I think he is just great!! To label or not to label. That is an interesting delemma. But, at least he will get more appropriate care.
      I am glad you had a better day after.

       
    • At 4:28 PM, Blogger Becci said…

      I just want to say thank you for the well-wishes. We are thankful to have so many people thinking of us. I am so glad you have your miracle baby. No matter what the testing says he is on amazing little boy. You must be so proud!

       
    • At 11:28 PM, Blogger Jen said…

      Hugs! Like I said on the pad, and like your Consultant has said, the label makes it easier :) (in a way). Hope you are ok now (HUGS!) (PS nice consultant you have there... and I know a few!)

       
    • At 5:44 AM, Blogger Brandie said…

      (((Cath))) Sorry things were so rough. :-(
      Hang in there and take it one day at a time with Corey. It can be hard to process it all. We were told my middle dd probably had hf autism around a year. It did feel like a bombshell and I cried and was upset, but then just had to deal with it. (they were wrong btw - it was just sensory issues). But at least this means Corey will get help - and even if the label is incorrect for the moment, help is a good thing.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Cath
    Home: Sheffield, United Kingdom
    About Me: A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for.
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Powered by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]

    Designed by: Zoot

    Crafty Blogs

    frontpage hit counter

    Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory

    © 2005 Just Me! Template by Isnaini Dot Com