Just Me!

I am a wife, mother & keen photographer with an obsession for Scrap booking. My motto is live life to the max and don't regret too much! Thankyou for taking the time to visit my blog!

 
Blog Links
What I'm Listening too
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What I'm Reading
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What I'm Watching
  • Heroes
  • Grey's Anatomy
  • Brothers and Sisters
  • Big Brother
  • My Fantasy Football
    Visit my mini league "Scrappad"
    Alison Lapper
    Saturday, September 17, 2005
    Alison lapper is an amazing woman. Born with a rare chromosomal disorder which is not unlike thalidomide, Alison Lapper did not have any arms and had only very short legs. She refers to her condition as: "limb deficiency". She is a remarkable lady in many respects. She has coped with her disability, put herself through university, raised a perfectly healthy son, established a successful career as a talented artist and won the respect of very many people.

    Alison is also fiercely independent, refusing to wear any form of prosthetic limb.

    In 2000, after a brief relationship with an able-bodied man she says: "I quite unexpectedly, and quite happily fell pregnant, and he ran a mile". Alison became a single-parent to a boy she named Parys.

    In the summer of 2003 in Madrid, Spain, Alison attended a Women and Disability Conference where she spoke on motherhood and maternity. Prior to this she visited Buckingham Palace at the Queen's invitation to receive an M.B.E, for her Services to Art.

    A sculpture of Alison has won a competition to occupy the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square and was launched a couple of days ago. The statue was created by sculptor Marc Quinn and feature s Alison naked and pregnant.

    Over the past five years Alison has achieved public recognition as an artist and a champion of the disabled, but it's still being a mother that is the focus of her life.

    There has been public outrage about this. I think it's wonderful. What do you think??

    posted by Cath @ 10:01 PM  
    4 Comments:
    • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Jen said…

      I think it's great too. Why the outcry? People are just ignorant....

       
    • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Ms. Doe said…

      Oh my gosh!!! I LOVE it! I've actually never heard of her before. Great story, what a wonderful example of strength and life.

       
    • At 10:16 PM, Blogger Spookygirl said…

      I think it's beautiful!

       
    • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I think it's fantastic! I have written about her on my blog, too...I plan to go to London to see it (haven't been to London for 14 years, but this is worth a trip!)

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Cath
    Home: Sheffield, United Kingdom
    About Me: A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for.
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Powered by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]

    Designed by: Zoot

    Crafty Blogs

    frontpage hit counter

    Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory

    © 2005 Just Me! Template by Isnaini Dot Com